Monday 1 October 2007

Lolly Soup

Yes, well, it was Graces' idea. We are going to make lolly soup next week. If anyone has any recipe ideas, please send them through. I was thinking about sourcream, marshmallows, pineapple chunks sort of concoction, dressed up with coconut, but Doug - ever the more practical was thinking about making some sort of jelly base with floating lolly 'croutons'. How about 'mock borscht' using grated beetroot in the red jelly? Although Grace would be disappointed to see a vegetable make an appearance in any way. I've lived long enough without lolly soup in my life, and I'm sure every chicken on the planet would agree with me.

2 comments:

Anna Fraser said...

... there is an american salad called marshmallow salad. Apparently you can get it on any old regular salad buffet...

24 HOUR HOLIDAY MARSHMALLOW SALAD
3 egg yolks
1 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
3 tblsp. white vinegar
2 tblsp. plain flour
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
1 package of small marshmallows
1 can of pineapple tidbits
Mix all starred ingredients together and blend over MED-LOW heat stirring constantly until it thickens into custard. Set aside and let cool.
Whip the half pint of heavy whipping cream with electric mixer. Pour cooled custard into a punch bowl.

Fold in a little pinapple juice (and shredded chunks if desired), cream,and marshmallows, cover and let set in refrigerator for at least 24 hours before serving.

Reality Raver said...

You do have a dilemma there. It would depend if you want a cream based or clear soup either way I think it is a great way of ensuring them getting the daily lolly to tv viewing balance correct.

I am rueing the fact that there is yet to be any natural snake competitions, as there are hotdog eating comps at Coney Island, as I feel my child would finish at least top 3 if the performance I saw in the Supermarket an hour ago was any indication.

I would also get the fairies to ask their good friends the oompa loompahs for input on this issue.